Welcome to the UPFI Website
Urban Poor Fund International
The Urban Poor Fund International is a subsidiary of Shack / Slum Dwellers International that provides capital to member national urban poor funds. The Fund is established on the proposition that the poor are central actors in urban development and poverty eradication and are best able to decide and co-manage their own urban improvement programs. Giving the poor direct control of capital enables them to negotiate with formal bodies such as government and banks.
Key Focus AreasView Our Focus Areas >>
- RT @ILMI_Namibia: Rose Molokoane @sdinet @SASDIAlliance speaking about how slum dwellers are not subjects but agents in urbanisation https:…
- In #Mukuru urban poor pay 172% more for basic services such as water & housing compared to those in formal estates. https://t.co/cNkTuFRuGw
- RT @SASDIAlliance: All SA SDI Alliance regions together in #Johannesburg to reflect on our work, review & strategise @sdinet https://t.co/v…
- Great news for the tens of thousands of people living in these two Nairobi settlements. Next step: collaborative up… https://t.co/53QU7pt8rg
- RT @katibainstitute: Illegal power connections in Mukuru. Annually,Residents pay about 330 million to cartels for poor quality lighting #O…
- Mayor of #Francistown #Botswana launches #KnowYourCity campaign to create collective understanding of the city. https://t.co/QPdDhLjOld
- Against backdrop of #Lagos #OtodoGbame evictions, a reminder: #OurUrbanAgenda = 1) Security of tenure, 2) Adequate… https://t.co/VywuZ9wJsy
- RT @xapsan: Nigerian Slum/Informal Settlement Federation helping #OtodoGbame community to rebuild their houses after #eviction @justempower…
- RT @mariehegel: First City Forum in Greater Monrovia!Starting an inclusive dialogue process for the city @Habitat_org @WIEGOGLOBAL @sdinet…
- RT @justempower: #SaveTheWaterfronts #OurUrbanAgenda --> 1) security of tenure, 2) livelihoods, 3) adequate housing @NaijaFederation #Lagos…
- Ten Essentials of the New Urban Agenda - https://t.co/6HV0ZPMvFE
Featured ProjectsView All Our Projects >>
Jan. 11, 2016, 11:01 a.m.
Construction of a community hall with water tanks and running water, in George Compound, Lusaka.Read more >
Oct. 13, 2015, 10:52 a.m.
Incremental housing construction in settlements across Namibia.Read more >
June 7, 2016, 11:23 a.m.
Upgrading of water and sanitation facilities in settlements in Dar es Salaam.Read more >
Dec. 14, 2015, 11:58 a.m.
Construction of ecosan toilets in houses in Lilongwe.Read more >