Welcome to the UPFI Website
Urban Poor Fund International
The Urban Poor Fund International is a subsidiary of Shack / Slum Dwellers International that provides capital to member national urban poor funds. The Fund is established on the proposition that the poor are central actors in urban development and poverty eradication and are best able to decide and co-manage their own urban improvement programs. Giving the poor direct control of capital enables them to negotiate with formal bodies such as government and banks.
Key Focus AreasView Our Focus Areas >>
- RT @andrewboraine: Says it all! Emotional moment for Zimbabwe activist: 'I've no words' https://t.co/LlQrgfjkwU
- @unyimeabasi @HabitatThursday We have many communities that have prepared themselves - addressing the above issues… https://t.co/zmPE1nzNDw
- Q6 What kind of mechanisms can be developed at the community level to identify new, innovative financing mechanisms… https://t.co/kB11hdsrsZ
- RT @HabitatThursday: @sdinet In most Developing Nations, local govts and Community Organizations are far from cities growth Program. First…
- @HabitatThursday Those who drive the urban development decision-making processes and those whose lives are affected… https://t.co/OUm1F74jlg
- @LotKaduma @urbancampaign We need our community driven data collection to be combined with what municipalities coll… https://t.co/ijo624ZsB9
- Q4 Security of tenure for all urban residents in #TheCityWeNeed is critical to the #GlobalGoals #SDG11 achievement.… https://t.co/S7MTOcVXhf
- @AleInZac Very true. Spreading the word about this work and engaging cities to start #KnowYourCity campaigns, and s… https://t.co/QTMKG2n546
- @GachieRai Lots of people at the community level are unemployed and have chosen to start their own businesses. They… https://t.co/SbzN2xERXu
- @LotKaduma @urbancampaign Yes! The #NewUrbanAgenda and #SDG11 must be used to faciliate inclusive development.… https://t.co/Ld2m3QfpV5
- @urbancampaign A1 #TheCityWeNeed should help communities to open door with cities and municipalities to have partne… https://t.co/RIqxUj7ToV
Featured ProjectsView All Our Projects >>
Jan. 11, 2016, 11:01 a.m.
Construction of a community hall with water tanks and running water, in George Compound, Lusaka.Read more >
Oct. 13, 2015, 10:52 a.m.
Incremental housing construction in settlements across Namibia.Read more >
June 7, 2016, 11:23 a.m.
Upgrading of water and sanitation facilities in settlements in Dar es Salaam.Read more >
Oct. 3, 2017, 1:07 p.m.
Construction of ecosan toilets in houses in Lilongwe.Read more >